Monday, April 26, 2010

Less of a Woman

Today I was thinking about how I used to have to pretend to be perfect. I look back now and I was a pretty fake human being. I used to cook, clean the house, care for the pets, plan parties, attend gatherings, so on and so forth. Its not that I don't enjoy many of those things, but, I did them then, for how it looked, not because I enjoyed them for their own sake.
Why did I do that? Do women still have to put on the June Cleaver face to be "good" women? I think in many respects they do.
A friend of mine and I talk about cars. We enjoy taking about cars. His girlfriend either doesn't enjoy cars or doesn't enjoy talking about them. This somehow makes her more womanly, and me more of a homewrecker. You don't believe me? OK. I like video games. I play lots of video games. It is no secret that the predominant video game players are men. To other women this makes me less womanly, and a bit strange. When I tell them that they would love them too, how its a great deal of fun, and very socializing, they look at me like I stepped on their cat.
In either of the top two scenarios insert war, guns, motorcycles, fishing, hunting, boobs, etc. What happened? Yup, thought so, either a homewrecker or cat stomper.

No comments:

Post a Comment