Thursday, June 17, 2010

Time to Talk

I've fallen back into the role of my sister's keeper. I didn't even realize I had done it until this morning.

A few months ago, after not speaking for a year, my sister and I decided we wanted to be more "sisterly". We have similar upbringings, despite being considerably different in age. I have always loved my sister, but because of the difficulties at home, and my tendency to withdraw from the family as a coping technique, we have never been close.

This time, to try and make the best of our relationship, we came to the agreement that we would not talk about our parents. There is still just so much heartache and mistrust, especially on my side, that I'd rather ignore their existence, or at least stay out of the way of the maelstrom. Although we have kept to that agreement, it seems we can't find that much to talk about.

As I was thinking about it this morning, I realized that we really only talk when one of us is down or having a bad day. Who wants to talk to someone and each time have it be a source of anxiety? To further the problem, we both seem to be very busy in our lives on our good days.

Do I need to make a call day, like a date night, with my sister? If we set up a time each week to talk, would that help? Most likely it would, but my schedule is so erratic, as is hers, I doubt we could find an agreeable time and hold to it.

Sigh....

No comments:

Post a Comment